Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Move your luggage..


My employer is one of the largest public/private run television networks in Northern Europe. They employ thousands of workers and operate out of one of the most technologically advanced facilities in the world. However since our audiences are not the target of any of the campaigns we may as well be channel 57 out of Poplar Bluff Missouri. Since this was the beginning of the primary season all the media was in tiny Des Monies Iowa. It was tough sometimes to get into the "hot" events like a Barack or Hillary rally unless you basically camp out like your waiting for concert tickets to go on sale. So you go to a Mike Huckabee town hall meeting or a Romney round table discussion or maybe a John Edwards rally..(did you know his father worked in the mines?)





The afternoon of the Iowa primary eight hours before the polls closed, I walked four blocks to an arena where Barack Obama would address his supporters giving what would be a inconceivable victory speech. This four block journey would be a test in courage for me and a true sign of my dedication to the job. You see, in the young hours of that morning in my hotel room nature called and I stumbled to the bathroom. In the dark I tripped over my size 15 shoes then in trying to catch my balance, my foot hit my camera case. My next step was on the very sharp edge of my open equipment case slicing open my big toe, (I later found out it had a hair line fracture as well). It looked like someone was murdered in my bathroom. I hope all the bloody rags and bloody toe prints didn't scare the maid too much. Anyway, when I finally arrived at the arena a nice lady had me sign a waiting list...I was number 275. Needless to say, we didn't get on the camera platform. This happens often so consequently, most of the foreign media either rely on news feeds from the American networks or choose another angle for the story. The excitement over the democrats had forced much of our coverage to the republicans who are not as "sexy" this election cycle.





What I also found interesting since starting on this campaign trail, is that it seem to be a policy of American politicians to not give interviews to foreign press. I'm still trying to understand why California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger refuses to grant interviews to foreign news outlets, even Austrian networks. I mean, what does a former steroid using body builder turned action hero turned politician have to hide anyway...."the steroid use over some years has changed me into a true girly man." So where would you expect the first transsexual Governor to be but in the Golden Bear State. But I digress.



We ended up election night in an upscale suburb of Des Monies. They were holding a Republican caucus at a country club. My correspondent, who has covered elections all over the world was very excited to see this unique process of American democracy in action. I have to say that I have never seen a caucus in action. This process of voting is practiced in twelve and a half states, (I say half a state because Texas has both a primary and a caucus). So most most Americans have no idea how this process works.

The buzz was still around the Democrats and turnout was supposed to be heavy. After many scandals, the war in Iraq and a sagging economy the Republican party brand was damaged goods. The Republican electorate nationally were less than enthusiastic about their eleven choices for president according to the polls. Imagine our shock upon arrival at the club, people were lined out the door. So many Republicans showed up that they had to vote in shifts to accommodate the crush of people. This is how I remember it going that night...They come in and register then go to a section of the room representing there candidate of choice. Then each candidate on the ballot has a representative that explains the candidates position and why you should vote for him. Then like collections plates at a church service, they pass clear plastic bowls to collect the ballots. They are counted while, (in this case), the MC of the event goes through the process of electing local delegates for the state convention using those Parliamentary system...You know, "who will second the motion" and so forth. Then the vote tally for that caucus is announced. Mike Huckabee was the winner at the country club. I may have left a few steps of the vote out but this is how I remember it. Depending on the setting this way of voting can be pretty wild. People on chairs barking at other voters to get their support. People debating each other over the merits of their candidate. Its a system of voting that can be controversial but they have been doing it for over 200 years in this country. My correspondent said afterwords, "only in America. " I had to agree.

On the way back we found a local station on the radio broadcasting election results...We were speechless. A black man running for President in America, had won in a majority white state. And big!!

In the beginning I was on the fence about Barack Obama's chances in this election. I liked what he had to say but I just believed that America would elect the first white woman before they would elect a black man. No matter how smart or charming, no matter how eloquent. My correspondent saw it differently. He saw a country with mixed race marriages, he had black neighbors in his middle class community, he saw a black Secretary of State and brought up the popularity of Colin Powell, black CEO's of Fortune 500 companies. Times have changed...



No comments: