Thursday, October 16, 2008

Is It Because He's Black

I have asked myself on more than one occasion if my support for Barack Obama would be different if he were not black. (For the purpose of this argument I am defining Obama as black, although he is biracial). That question was harder to answer at the outset of the campaign. As a black man, it was definitely satisfying to see an intelligent, articulate, young African American in the race. I still did not think that he would have a shot against the Clinton machine.

It was his winning overwhelmingly white Iowa that made me believe that he could have a chance. It was his loyalty to Rev. Jemimah Wright when it was not in his political best interest. How he took disaster and turned it into the opportunity to speak to Americans as adults about the subject of race. The way that he inspired people These are the reasons that Barack became more than an black candidate to me. He was not just a good black candidate for president, he was the best candidate for president who happened to be black.

In his endorsing of Obama Sunday on Meet The Press, Colin Powell admitted that part of the reason he was voting for Barack Obama was because of race. But that was not enough or he would have endorsed him long ago. He named a number of reasons from the narrowing perspective of the Republican party, to trivial nature of the McCain campaign. He spoke of Obama's intellectual curiosity and his reasoned judgment. The more you listened the more you saw his reason for condemning his party had less to do with race and more to do with sensibility.





Of course I will feel a great sense of pride, as a black man, should Obama win the election but I take even greater pride in the fact that he has proven he's more than a black candidate, but is the better man for the job.

1 comment:

filoli said...

Love this endorsement except the "part of the reason is race" I don't quite know what to do with that...I really like your analysis that their is a sense of pride and common accomplishment with a strong black candidate, but it isn't "because he is black" but better suited for this job. See I have this problem as a professional woman from the other side - I was proud to see Hillary as a woman making good grounds, but thought ultimately Obama was a better candidate, and with Palin (hard to type) at some level, yes, I am happy that the Republicans 20 years after the Democrats nominated a female VP, but gender and a historical nomination doesn't equal experience or quality -
I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that you probably had these struggles when J.C. Watts was navigating his way up the Republican ranks (until they dropped him like a hot rock).

Also - I tagged you for 7 random things from the campaign trail...